SACRED CIRCLE TRAINING
OCT. 6 – 10
Rapid City, SD
The Ending Violence Against Native Women Training Institute provides a strong foundation for advocates and their allies to work effectively within their own programs and within a coordinated response. The Institute begins with a two day plenary session to help build a shared understanding of the dynamics of violence against Native women and highlights coordinated community response initiatives. The last 2 1/2 days you will attend one of the five workshops offered and one closing ceremony.
Plenary Topics include:
• Historical and Cultural Roots: Colonization and Violence Against Women
• Internalized Oppression
• Battering: Definition and Dynamics
• Federal Laws Impacting Native Women
• Effective Coordinated Tribal Community Response
Please register for one of the five following workshops to attend on days 3 and 4:
• Role of Law Enforcement: Law Enforcement Response to Domestic Violence.
• Role of Batterers’ Program: Batterers’ Re-educate Program Facilitation.
• Role of Criminal Justice System: Tribal Court and Prosecution Response to Domestic Violence.
• Role of Advocates: Advocating for Women Who Have Been Battered/Raped and their Children.
• Advocacy For Native Women Who Have Been Raped – NEW
If this is your first time attending the Institute, please consider attending the Role of Shelter and Advocacy workshop first to gain an integral understanding of effective response to violence against Native women and appropriate relationships with women who are battered. Men are encouraged to attend the Role of Batterers’ Program workshop to best understand their role as men in ending violence against women.
GRAND GATEWAY HOTEL OF THE BLACK HILLS
1721 LaCrosse St., Rapid City, SD 57701
Rate: Standard – $79.00 Superior – $89.00
(Please reserve by September 4th.)
Shuttle: Complimentary Hotel Shuttle – Call 605-342-1300
REGISTRATION FEE RAPID CITY: Before September 5th:
$350; On or after September 5th :$450
Fee includes banquet, manual, DV Info packet and more!
OCT. 6 – 10
Rapid City, SD
Karen Artichoker, Management Team Director – Cangleska, Inc.,
Director of Sacred Circle
Brenda Hill, Education Coordinator – Sacred Circle
BJ Jones, Chief Judge – Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Tribe
George Twiss, Management Team Director – Cangleska, Inc.
Wayne Weston, Men’s Program Coordinator – Cangleska, Inc.
Elena Giacci, Anti-Sexual Violence Education Specialist, Sacred Circle
call # X-32552
NOTE: Special registration fee for returning registrants: $250.00 – We are extending a special discount rate for those who have previously attended the Sacred Circle Training Institute and
wish to only attend the workshop portion of the Institute and do not wish to attend the plenary sessions again. Full registration fee will be required to attend the entire 5-day Institute.
• On-site registration begins on Sunday from 4:00 – 8:00 PM and at 7:30 AM on Monday.
• Plenary sessions begin at 8:30 AM on Monday & Tuesday.
• Workshops will begin on Wednesday at 8:30 AM and end at 12:00 PM Friday followed by a Closing Ceremony at 1:30 PM.